On the need for pattern recognition - revised and expanded

 

Cropped excerpt of the painting 1000 yard stare by Tom Lea

 

    This is a revised and expanded version of the Pattern Recognition essay that I published last year. The essay below is an excerpt from the book that I'm currently working on titled Fervent Malice and Humorless Imbecility. I don't expect to have that book completed and ready for sale until the middle of next year. I am making this essay available now in response to the recent anti-Israeli protests seen on American college campuses. Although this essay was mostly written prior to those incidents, and it does not address current events in Israel and Palestine directly, I believe it offers a framework for analyzing aspects of information warfare surrounding this news story, and understanding the behavior of some individuals. I believe the recent attacks by Hamas in Israel, and the behavior of the Netanyahu government should NOT be framed as a matter of Israeli versus Palestinian, but as a conflict between those who profit from stoking conflict, their gullible followers who are largely caught in the middle and have been the targets of radicalizing propaganda, and everyone else who wants peace.
 
Due to the length of this essay, I have attached it below as a PDF file, rather than posting the entire text in this blog window. 
 
(For those who downloaded a copy of this essay before 8pm on October 28th, a new version of the document has been posted which addresses the typesetting error around the Clockface graphic. Also, I'm having a bad day for typos. If you notice anything that sounds strange please notify me via comments on Disqus or Twitter.) 
 
 
Thank You, 
The Contentious Otter

Comments